29.1.17

the good news

Lil Mr. Gratitude is away again and I took the time on the way back from church to do a super easy, yet super rewarding random act of kindness.

When I stopped to get the Sunday paper from a random guy on the corner I met Willie. I asked Willie how much he earned off of every paper and he wouldn't tell me an exact amount, but I'm guessing less than .50 per $3 paper. He said what really hurt him was when the paper raised their price to a full dollar amount. Apparently when it was $2.25 or $2.50 people would hand him $3 and tell him to keep the change. "Now the paper get that" he said. Willie acknowledged that it didn't sound like much but said over the course of the day, it really added up... "kinda like waitresses at a restaurant" he said.

So I handed over my larger bill and told him to keep the change. His glaucoma clouded eyes twinkled a bit and I was reminded how much people just want to be seen. To acknowledge someone is the best act of kindness you can ever do. 

Cost: a few bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment